Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consider Trade Schooling

A lot of people flush thousands of dollars down the drain to go to a University but seldom come out the other side happy with a job they wanted.

I think unless you are going to school to be a doctor or lawyer, going to a trade school or a community college is more than enough.

This is a great point. People seem to really miss out on life when they drain years and thousands of dollars into a university and come out the other side feeling lost in life.

Comment

Absolutely. People are obsessed with going to Harvard or Yale and I just don't get it. As long as you receive the education needed to succeed, it doesn't matter where you got it. I'm so glad I didn't go into massive debt for an education.

Comment

Two of my closest friends have over 40k in school debt. One of them is working at a coffee shop and the other just started working in his field. They both graduated 6 years ago. So do the math there. It just is not worth it anymore. I know my parents were lied to about it being such a great thing. I can't imagine what parents are telling the 16 to 18 year old of today.

Comment

Originally posted by nanostar View Post
          Absolutely. People are obsessed with going to Harvard or Yale and I just don't get it. As long as you receive the education needed to succeed, it doesn't matter where you got it. I'm so glad I didn't go into massive debt for an education.
          My parents were mad when I decided not to go to Harvard. I was accepted and I decided to take a year off from school and ended up going to a trade school myself. I am thankful I did because a friend of mine who did go to Harvard is miserable and living with her parents. She can't afford anything because of all her debt and she only attended 4 years.

Comment

Trade School or College? It depends actually on Which Trade OR Which College?

Depending on cost, subject, and market demand there are certainly trades that pay far more than some college degrees. In the US these days there is a real shortage of trained construction workers in all fields. Three is a growing critical shortage of machinists who know more than how to run a robot. Heavy equipment operators are not increasing in numbers. Young long haul truck drivers are almost impossible to find.

At the same time a degree in computer science or computer engineering, electrical engineering and a few other specialties command high value if you can accumulate enough expertise to get the right job.

Borrow tens of thousands to get a middle of the road university degree in a humanities field and you would have tough luck finding a good paying position in your field.

Comment

People need to understand what the job market looks like and be able to predict it for at least 15 years when enrolling.

Jobs that will always be in need deal with law, medical, and financial. Since we are going into a more tech-savvy future, anything related to computers is a good path to take.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X