Why do people fear getting older?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people fear getting older?

I was thinking about this last night and thought I should ask here. I just joined so may as well start deep!

Why do you think people fear getting older? I once thought it had to do with getting closer to death but now I am not too sure about that anymore. Older people don't seem to fear death.

I don't think it is so much death as it is suffering. The thought of spending your last few years in a retirement home stuck in bed is scary. That, and the general look of getting older. Most people do not age well at all.

Comment

Fear of suffering seems to be the biggest deal or even fear of loss. The thought of growing old and living to see a spouse or friend die has to be hard.

Comment

I don't fear getting old, it just means that we are doing our best to stay healthy. What I fear is accident or sickness that could decrease my lifespan. That is why healthy habits is important for me.

Comment

I fear the changes in my appearance and the higher health risks that come with age. I am not so afraid that I worry myself over it because I know that will only make both worst but I think it is perfectly natural to not like aging and fear it.

Comment

I think it is knowing time is going by. Like when you are 14, you dream of being older... go 20 years ahead, and you think of your younger years.

Comment

I remember when I was younger, the summertime felt like it went on forever. Those three or so months off from school felt like a year in and of itself. As I got older, the time seemed to go by faster. I think it has to do with that. Time goes faster the older you get and the fear of not doing enough or not having done enough sets in.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X