Teaching Self-Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching Self-Control

I have always wondered why people struggle with basic things like eating. Far too many people lack self-control and overeat and you can see the proof in every country around the world. The US is where I am and it is hard to ignore. I see obese men, obese women, obese teens, and now more and more obese children. I think something like self-control should be taught by all parents if not by them then by schools. It is such a basic thing to keep yourself from overeating but millions struggle with it.

I read a stats sheet and I am not sure how factual it is or not but it is estimated that 74% of people in the US are now considered overweight and 33% of them are considered obese. That is pretty scary! I think it is a combination of not having any self-control when it comes to food and living very lazy or inactive lives.

There are factors that affect our self-control and most of it pertains to our psychological health.

Comment

It's all built on habit. A person who gets whatever they want whenever they want it will find it harder to tell themselves no. You have to start small and build your way up.

Comment

When I was growing up, my mother was very keen on what we ate and how much she ate. She would buy big bags and such of food and divide it according to servings. She wanted to ensure we weren't eating too much junk. I eventually picked up on this myself. I think it stemmed from the rest of my family is overweight or obese. She was the fittest one and now myself, my brother and sister and my dad still remain to be the fittest. I think a lot of eating habits develop from what we are taught as kids.

Comment

Most kids are raised with parents who would rather feed them anything they want just to get them to shut up. Mix in vaccination, hormone-laden food, and lack of stress reduction... Is it really any wonder why most kids grow up to become overweight or obese adults?

Comment

Self-control takes time, but requires habitual practice.

Comment

It is something that is modeled after by the parents like Shark mentions.

If you have a child that is raised by parents who don't teach self-control or have it themselves, there is a good chance the child will become an adult who is lacking there too.

Comment

I have trouble with it like many others and I didn't grow up with parents who allowed the behavior. I had very frugal parents actually. Maybe there are two cases here.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X