Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the "War on Drugs" an outdated practice in the US?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the "War on Drugs" an outdated practice in the US?

I feel like this was started as a means to get money into the government without truly fixing the problem. Even today, we have illegal trades coming through Mexico from the cartel with drugs, weapons, and other items that should not be passing the border. If there was ever a war on drugs, this all would have been handled over 30 years ago! I feel like it is outdated and funding such a thing is a waste of tax payer dollars.

I think we have a drug problem. I don't think this campaign has done much of anything other than waste money and lock up people who would otherwise cause no harm to anyone else. I feel like things need to be dealt with at the border as well as shutting down gang turf in the innercity areas.

Comment

If we want to see the drug problem be sorted, we need to do it. We need to stop relying on the government and focus on improving communities. Nothing will change if we keep throwing money at the government.

Comment

I don't think the idea of a war on drugs is outdated, it just hasn't been implemented very well.
        We can all acknowledge that there is a problem with illegal drugs coming across the border as well as prescription drugs. It's a problem that must be taken on, I just don't know the correct way to do it. I think the issue goes too deep.

Comment

Anytime we declare a "war" on something, that situation gets worse and worse. Perhaps we should stop delclaring wars..

Comment

Laws and regulations never actually make the problem disappear, but rather just push it underground.

Comment

its not a war on drugs; its a war on freedom for the sole purpose of the few (private prisons,etc) to make money and feel powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                its not a war on drugs; its a war on freedom for the sole purpose of the few (private prisons,etc) to make money and feel powerful.
                Exactly what I just said. Everything Congress does has 1 reason. To make themselves richer. The war on drugs was extremely effective at filling their bank accounts with money.

Comment

The truth is that it has been terribly effective. However, the problem is the inaccuracy of the name of the program. If it were called the 'perpetual short-term impairment and immobilization of the lower to mid retail level prohibited substances dealer' then I would say the program was a huge success.

Comment

Originally posted by alex View Post
                    The truth is that it has been terribly effective. However, the problem is the inaccuracy of the name of the program. If it were called the 'perpetual short-term impairment and immobilization of the lower to mid retail level prohibited substances dealer' then I would say the program was a huge success.
                    They could have accurately called it the "Temporary inconvenience to the rich white teenager who can buy an 8-ball every week with his allowance" and it would have been more accurate, but terribly incomplete.

Comment

I would argue that money is not the endgame, it never is. Money is always a means to an end - usually power, of course. So...what gives?

Drugs create changes in consciousness, and this change have a potential that is not in the interest of people in positions of power because it might lead to the lessening of their power. I believe this is the primary reason for the "war on drugs".

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X