Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should laws online be updated?

Considering the whole thing that happened recently with Google and COPPA, it seems like there is just too much gray area out there that no one is entirely sure about when it comes to minors using the internet. I feel like a lot of this SHOULD be up to the parents but since parents don't want to do parenting anymore, everyone else has to suffer because of it. I am not blaming everyone who has a kid, I know some great people are wonderful parents but I would estimate 70% of them are not.

Anyways... Should laws online be updated?

Maybe some of them should, but not to this extent.
    My belief is that parents should be in total control of what their children are doing, online and off. There should be no laws such as COPPA at all, the government is not a replacement for parents!

Comment

I like the idea of COPPA, it has good intentions but I don't think it achieves what it sets out to do.
      Actually, I heard someone on YouTube mention something in favor of tracking children. It was that they would prefer their child to see targeted ads over non-targeted ads, something like condom ads to a 13-year-old. I have to agree!

Comment

Parents need to be parents. Plain and simple. The internet should look to protect adults, not children. That is the responsibility of the parents. Maybe I am too harsh here but since when did the internet become a place for kids? It has never been and never will be.

Comment

I don't see how it's possible to further protect children online without mass censorship and being monitored 24/7. That's a job I wouldn't like to hand over to any bureaucrat, not ever. Parents need to be responsible and accountable, they should know what lurks on the WWW.

Comment

I agree with Ranger.

We would need to completely moderate the internet. We would need to go so far that everything we do online would be seen by someone and that ain't right.

Comment

I am not entirely sure what online laws are other than the ones about privacy protection. I feel like these are likely outdated though since they been in place since like 1999.

Comment

All of these laws and regulations are ruining the internet.

Think of how many websites now have to put up annoying roadblocks asking for your consent to store cookies or accept a privacy policy. So much time is waste clicking away stuff we never read, it was much better before all of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Krissy View Post
                  All of these laws and regulations are ruining the internet.

Think of how many websites now have to put up annoying roadblocks asking for your consent to store cookies or accept a privacy policy. So much time is waste clicking away stuff we never read, it was much better before all of this.
                  This stuff drives me crazy! Nobody really cared about cookies and terms of services, it was just kinda forced on us. Websites have way too many distractions these days, the stuff you mentioned and newsletter prompts, exit intent popups, sticky notification bars. It's so bad.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X