Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laws to keep people from becoming obese?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laws to keep people from becoming obese?

A friend of mine recently mentioned that we should have laws put in place or some kind of system to prevent people from becoming obese.

His reasoning is that obese people seldom work full time, if at all. Many of them end up on disability everyone else has to pay for. And if they have pets or children under their care, they can be neglected because of their poor health.

Interesting discussion.
    Are we talking about what the UK is doing with things like sugar tax? If so, I don't really think it's very effective.
    The best way to prevent obesity is to promote healthy living, make it more affordable to eat healthily, and good parenting.

Comment

The obese are not a protected class in the US as far as I know. Britain seems to have gone particularly soft on employment law these days so I have no clue what their story is.

Comment

In America, I have never heard of anyone being discriminated against due to obesity. We do know there are many jobs an obese person can not do. Companies can fire and hire as they choose and even if you were fired for obesity, there is nothing anyone can do.

Comment

Originally posted by mason View Post
          In America, I have never heard of anyone being discriminated against due to obesity. We do know there are many jobs an obese person can not do. Companies can fire and hire as they choose and even if you were fired for obesity, there is nothing anyone can do.
          True An obese person does not have a good chance of getting the job if weight were the only difference in the two.

Comment

Yup there should be a law people keep eating and getting fired from their job

Comment

I believe people can break this law and start over eating. I don't this it can really works

Comment

There is also an economic aspect to this - cheaper food is less nutritious, generally speaking. People who live on a moderate income have little choice and prioritize their wallet above their own health, to a certain degree. To then create a law against obesity hardly seems to be the solution here.

Subsidies on more nutritious food could be one way forward. http://theconversation.com/subsidies...-obesity-74726

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X