Lacking belief in God linked to depression

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacking belief in God linked to depression

University of Toronto psychologists reported last year that “believing in God can help block anxiety and minimize stress,” their research showcasing “distinct brain differences” between believers and nonbelievers.

A new study released Wednesday by Rush University Medical Center in Chicago took the idea a step further.

In patients diagnosed with clinical depression, “belief in a concerned God can improve response to medical treatment,” said the new research, which has been published in the Journal of Clinical Psychology.

The operative term here is “caring,” the researchers said. “The study found that those with strong beliefs in a personal and concerned God were more likely to experience an improvement.”
    Source: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...eves-depressi/

This dates back to 2010. I feel this is something that people realized long before this but are only putting the pieces together on paper.

What are your thoughts on this?

I'm not sure about this but there are still many theists who are also depressed. I think depression is more tied to a person's traumatic experiences and toxic childhood.

Comment

Maybe it's true, maybe it's a coincidence. Although it would make sense as having faith seems like something that would keep depression away.
      Interesting study for sure, I'd like to see more of it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      Working...
      X