What are terpenes? All the Info you nee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are terpenes? All the Info you nee

We are starting to learn more and more about terpenes and the benefits behind them. If you’re still a little confused behind what this word even means and how to differentiate the different scents of your favorite cannabis strains then continue reading our brief breakdown of the few most common terpenes.

What are Terpenes?

Terpenes are organic compounds found in a variety of plants, and contribute to their flavor, scent and colour. These substances are the building blocks of essential oils, and are often used in food additives, perfumery and aromatherapy.

Terpenes are fragrant essential oils in differing concentrations in different cannabis strains alongside cannabinoids like THC and CBD. These compounds are what make up the different cannabis varieties that have specific & distinctive aromas and flavors such as berry, pine, pineapple and diesel. Besides affecting aroma and flavor, there is some evidence suggesting that they may also modify cannabis’s effects.

Cannabis specifically contains a wide range of terpenes, over 100, that are thought to interact synergistically with the cannabinoids in the plant, and to enhance and vary its effects.

Each cannabis strains possesses its own terpene profile, contributing to its distinct personality.

Simply, terpenes are the oils that give cannabis plants and flowers their unique aroma.

Why Does this Matter?

Terpenes vary the psychoactive effect of cannabis, enabling unique highs and experiences that unlock the most primal flavour moments. The different terpene profiles can truly enhance a dining experience and take flavours to the next level. Pinene

Pinene is a fragrant oil secreted in marijuana trichomes, and while they originally developed as an adaptive protection against predators, these compounds offer us humans a variety of benefits. Pinene can also be found in conifer trees, orange peels, pine needles, rosemary, dill and parsley.

Pinene’s Effects and Benefits

Just as different cannabinoids have different effects, so do terpenes. These unique attributes contribute to the overall composition of a strain, adding a dimension to each one’s “personality.” Some of pinene’s known effects and benefits include:
    • Anti-inflammatory
    • Bronchodilator (helps improve airflow to lungs)
    • Helps counter short-term memory loss associated with THC
    • Promotes alertness
    TOP STRAINS:

1. OG Kush
    2. T.W Duke
    Limonene

Limonene is an aromatic cannabis terpene produced in the flower’s resin glands as well as in many everyday items like fruit rinds, cosmetics, and cleaning products. Some strains tend to express higher levels of the limonene terpene, and oftentimes it’s the sour lemon scent that gives it away.

Limonene Effects and Benefits

Limonene has a history in medicine, so it should come as no surprise that the limonene found in cannabis offers therapeutic benefits as well. Some of these studied effects include:
    • Stress relief
    • Elevated mood
    • May help relieve heartburn and gastric reflux
    • Improves absorption of other terpenes and chemicals by way of the skin, mucous membranes, and digestive tract

TOP STRAINS:
    1. Super Lemon Haze
    2. Jack Herer
    Myrcene

Myrcene is a terpene that occurs often in highly fragrant plants and herbs such as mangoes, hops, bay laurel leaves, thyme, lemongrass, and basil.

This terpene is produced by numerous cannabis strains, and some have suggested that it lends sedative, indica-like effects (including “couch-lock”) to strains containing more than 0.5% of this terpene.

Myrcene is a terpene that occurs often in highly fragrant plants and herbs such as mangoes, basil, lemongrass & hops. Myrcene is produced by numerous cannabis strains, including the KUSH strains, that leave you looking like a couch potato. Myrcene Effects and Benefits

• Anti-inflammatory
    • Analgesic (pain relief)
    • Antibiotic
    • Sedative
    • Antimutagenic

TOP STRAINS:
    1. White Widow
    2. OG Kush

Pairing 101

Enhancing the eating experience. Sitting in the pocket. In awe of the magic. Exploring tastes and hitting that zen state. This is what I live for. This is my approach to every meal and my life’s mission.

My Mouth is the Window to the World.

Source : http://www.ambrosiacann.com/terpenes...inene-myrcene/

Great post!! 😲

Comment

Well, this was informative. I honestly don't use marijuana or hemp so I would have never known. Not something I am interested in honestly but still pretty cool.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      Working...
      X